worktop sealing profile

Home Forums Kitchen DIY Advice worktop sealing profile

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  johnelliott 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

johnelliott
    Participant

I occassionally

fit replacement worktops, and a problem which crops up nearly every time is the fact that once the original worktop was installed, the walls were then tiled. In some cases this can

make it impossible to fit a new worktop without removing the existing tiles. If the tiles have been applied to plasterboard with a void behind then usually the plasterboard breaks

before the tiles let go. Lots of mess and extra work.
    Usually the solution is to leave the tiles where they are, cut the worktop to fit and then apply another row of tiles on top of the originals, to cover the gap that there would

otherwise be, especially at each end.
    What I would like to be able to offer my customers is some kind of sealing strip that would do the same job, and they could then keep their quite often really nice tiles.
    Woodfit used to do one but it has now been discontinued, and I’ve tried a Google search without success. Any ideas where I could get some, of other solutions to this regular problem?
    Thanks
    John

timfoley

John,

I can identify with this problem and have on many occasions encountered a similar dilemna.
    Replacing worktops that have been tiled over is a challenging task and the method that best provides success is to carefully break the seal between tile and top, (Grout &

silicone) in most cases, remove the existing top, cutting it in various places to lessen the chance of breaking the tiles.
    Fitting of your new tops renders that you may have to butt them up to the front edge of the tiles and seal the joint with a matching silicone but it can be achieved.
    In some cases tiles do break and to overcome this may be difficult if your tiles have been dicontinued.
    A water resistant upstand such as stainless steel or plastic extrusion is the best solution and the strip you mention used to be widely available for the purpose.
    It is still manufactured and can be viewed at http://www.rehau.com/servlet/WYSPages005?

&pg=industry_design.for.furniture_kitchen.furniture.components_rauwalon.wall.seal.profiles_rauwalon.117…127&db=wys/vbex/rehauexen.nsf&dt=&

Contacting the company via the website will determine their distribution network.

Hope this has been of use and maybe you can update us on any feedback you receive. I’m sure it will be of benefit to a number of visitors who wish to overcome a similar problem.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.